Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sworn In; Verified and Authentic

Hello everyone, it's official, I signed and dated my name and took the oath to defend the consitution against all enemies both foriegn and domestic, that makes me an official Peace Corps volunteer.

We are staying in Lome this week running around and shopping til we drop, but I've been sick since Friday, the day after we swore in. Its nothing major, but I definitely didn't feel like braving the Lome market on market day, and that's just what I attempted to do on Friday with a fever and a slight hangover. For someone that dislikes shopping in general, it can be difficult to appreciate the African method of commerce.

Vendor comes up with post cards (speaking english): Very nice, do you like them?
Me: No, I don't want to buy your post cards.
He kind of hesitates, backs off, and then steps back up to be thumbing through them again, "I will make a very good price for you"
Me: Did you not hear what I said?
Vender: (with a smirk) Oh you are big man, okay.

Thank god something works. But it's really not wise to be like that, I was sick and my head was throbbing. Normally I would be a little bit more measured, you never know who or when you might need a friend around here.

I'm heading off to Vogan on Monday. I still don't have all of my shopping done, but I'm not too worried about it. Lome is only an hour long ride away.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Hey bro, I just read your blog, damn I hope you get better. It sounds like you got the culture shock blues, but I think in time, you'll get used to the routine. The language barrier sounds like the most difficult thing though. It's hard to speak French when everyone else speaks rapid fire patois French that they don't teach in school or university so that bites. Just keep your head up man and remember that we, your family, support you.

Mark Roberts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Roberts said...

So now the journey takes a major turn, off to your permanent post where you become an independent citizen of Togo (sort of). Congratulations on making it through your training phase!!

I think about you every day wondering what's going on and what things your dealing with. Your posts here give me insight to that, so post again when you can (with pictures??).

Love,

Dad