Monday, October 15, 2007

Employed

Looks like I will begin working with a local Micro Finance sometime within the next week.  I also found an internet café in Vogan, and the two are actually related.  I had turned in my résumé to the MFI and had tried to make contact with the director several times but he was never there.  I went by with my homologue yesterday in hopes that we would find him but again caught him out of the office.  We spoke with the secretary and left a note.  I went off to the internet cafe and paid for two hours, had the chance to talk with Lauren on gmail chat for a little bit, and did some browsing around   After an hour and a half the director shows up to get online and we chat, set up Monday at 8:30 as a good time to meet, and go about our business. 

Mr. Eklo came by this morning to help straighten up the furniture situation here.  He paid me back the 3 or 4 dollars left over from other money I had already given him, and then I gave him another 60 dollars or so to pay for my kitchen table, four wooden chairs, and a cabinet where I can finally put my clothes and organize this mountain of papers that seems to be rising up in rebellion.  I'll finally feel moved in.

I've also made a friend next door whose mother has been cooking me something to eat every evening.  They have a refrigerator, a TV, and a DVD player with several movies, all the indicators of a middle class family.  I've offered to pay her mom to cook for me every evening.  I hate having to put something together myself, I just straight up cannot make something as delicious as they can.  I've become accustomed to the food enough that I'm starting to crave it.. 

1 comment:

Eric said...

David, hey man I just read your letter that you sent and I was glad to hear from you. I know the boredom must bite, but I'll do what I can to find a few books or maybe a game. I could not live with cockroaches I could hear on the floor man. Damn, you got a heart of gold to endure living conditions that most Americans would not choose to live in for a week, much less two years. We all think of you in the highest regards. I'm glad you got moved in and that you can get a steady evening meal...that is cool that the local population is willing to help you out. That is awesome. Congrats on the job. Well take care of yourself man and I'll be in touch.